Saturday 20 October 2012

Mittagong Markets

Today we were off to Mittagong 85km south of Sydney on the Hume Highway, as we pulled up at the Mittagong Uniting Church just off the main street I was so excited with about thirty stalls already set up and wonderful mixture of  produce, new items, handmade things and my favourite a little bit of trash n treasure.

I parked then quickly found Robert who directed me to my spot, all I wanted to do was set up and go for a walk. Up went the tent, up went the table out went the clothes on when my stuff and off we went to check out the other stalls the first one two ladies regulars apparently who make their own break from local ingredients and OMG NO! OMY GOLLY GOSH! the bread was fantastic we ended up with five loaves  their speciality was the Caramelised Onion bread with the Caramelised Onion made that is through the bread made locally by the man from Phatt Duck, well that loaf did not even make the trip around the market it was heaven.... so be bought another one.  Their other famous loaf was the olive and Pesto Rolly Polly chock full of Whitmarsh olives do I need to tell you it too was yum. 


The bread stall and the produce stall at Mittagong Markets.

The produce stall is also a regular at this market their spinach, beans, bok Coy and lettuce is all grown on their farm S & L Galea at Theresa Park so crisp and fresh, two stalls down and two trips back to unload at our stall and on we went.


Here all my greens being packed up so so fresh thanks S & L Galea
 
Just tucked away under the trees we found Jeanette who is a Volunteer for The Fistular Hospital Addis Ababa Ethiopia you may have seen it in the media from time to time, the hospital was established in 1974 by Dr Reg Hamlin OBE and his wife Dr Catherine Hamlin AC.  The Hamlin's first arrived in Ethiopia in 1959 to train midwives but their attention soon turned to the heartbreaking plight of the fistula sufferers.  

In Ethiopia, obstetric fistula is the common outcome of prolonged, obstructed labour which causes permanent internal damage and incontinence. Many patients become social outcasts and their suffering is life-long if untreated.

Jeanette and her friends knit blankets for the women and their babies the blankets are considered a prized possession and treasured for life.  If you love to knit or crochet blankets please check this charity out because your blankets could make a real difference to a woman lucky enough to be treated at the Fistular.  I think this is something I will encourage my daughters to have a go at, my grandmother taught me to crochet so I think I will show them and see if we can get at least one made and sent.   To follow them on facebook please like their page.  


Janette with one of the knitted blankets someone has made and donated



The last interesting stall was a lady who sells hand made little cloth toys.  These are so cute and made by a family she knows in Bali.  Her little stall also sold woven items on behalf of Tribes and Nations who are committed to empowering lives through fair trade.

I ended the day today with a long chat from one of my favourite customers John from Produced Locally.  It just doesn't get any better!  Such a great country market and it is so cute, check it out if you are in the Southern Highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment